Check out resource books for substitute teachers on SproutClassrooms.com!
A great resource for subs is a 'Sub Tub'. You can pick up a plastic box at Wal-Mart or Target, and fill it with the following items. Set it in a place that is obvious to anyone taking over class (perhaps next to your desk or on the front table) and rest easy if you ever have to call in sick without being able to prepare in advance.Sub Tub Checklist:
* Label for the front of your tub
* Name tags for each student, complete with safety pins (more name tags, or make ID Badges with photos)
* Seating chart with names
* Emergency sub plans in accordion folder (label each section with a subject and place activity sheets and directions behind each tab)
* Materials for your emergency sub plans (art supplies, index cards, books, etc.)
* Folder holding the following documents, filled out:
Sub's Daily Report- Allows the sub to communicate with you about student behavior, what lessons were accomplished, etc.
General Information- Handy school information.
Substitute Information Sheet- Fill out with all the necessary information for
Substitute Procedures- Allows you to communicate the norms in the
classroom for quick reference.
Where To Find It- A helpful guide for locating everyday materials in the room
Substitute Instruction Packet- Another road map for substitutes